While grocery shopping this week I noticed some very delicate, beautiful key limes in a lovely green bag and I bought them. I had just seen the episode of Throwdown in which Bobby Flay makes a Key Lime Pie and I wanted to see if I could come up with something similar yet egg free (due to X’s allergy). This pudding was the result. Adapted from this recipe from Throwdown it worked out well. It’s tart and sweet. It’s smooth and creamy. I was thrilled with the result. I hope you enjoy!
- 12 Key Limes
- 1 300 ml can of Sweetened Condensed Milk (low fat)
- 3 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Zest two of the Key Limes into the bowl.
- Juice the key limes and strain the juice before adding it into the zest.
- Add the can of milk and the vanilla to the juice and mix together well.
- In a small bowl mix the corn starch with just enough water to create a thick paste. Add the paste to the pudding mixture and mix well.
- Place the bowl on the counter covered for 20 minutes.
- After the 20 minutes have elapsed place the pudding into individual oven safe bowls and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave on the counter for 1 hour, until cool.
- Place in the fridge for 2-3 hours to set.
- Serve cool.
A Journey through Lent: Day 37