As I wandered through the produce section this week I happened upon some lovely jalapeno peppers that I had to have. As I thought about ways to use them my mind drifted back to my university days and the nights spent with friends debating theology and life around a bucket of wings and a basket of poppers. Now that I’m older, wiser, and healthier I tend to avoid these things now.
As I’ve aged, my tastes have changed. As tasty as those poppers were, I’m much more interested in clean, fresh tastes. Inspired by the memory and my desire to make a healthier version I came up with these adult poppers. Filled with light lemon cream cheese and broiled in the oven until they are just blackened, they hit the spot with their spicy yet slightly sweet flavor.
Jalapeno Poppers for Adults
- 12 Jalapeno Peppers
- 1 block of light cream cheese, softened
- 1 lemon
- Cut the heads off the peppers and carefully clean out the inside removing all seeds.
- Place the softened cream cheese into a small bowl.
- Add the zest and juice of one lemon to the cream cheese and mix well.
- Place the cream cheese mixture into a piping bag and pipe the mixture into the peppers being careful not to over fill.
- Put the peppers on a foil lined baking tray and place under the broiler.
- After about 8 minutes (or however long it takes to begin blackening).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly (for about one minute) before eating.
- I did lightly spray the foil lined tray with oil to ensure if the cheese ran out it wouldn’t burn or stick. This did make the peppers very slippery. If you choose to do it, be careful with the peppers so they don’t fly off your pan.
- If you’re not a fan of lemon, feel free to keep it plain.