The dark horse of yesterday’s game wasn’t Mario Manningham or the Giants win but instead the healthier version of Coconut Lime Cupcakes that I threw together at the last minute. I was worried people wouldn’t like them because I had made some serious adjustments like cutting oil, using whole wheat flour and choosing unsweetened coconut. They were always popular before and sometimes change isn’t good when you’re used to things a certain way. I shouldn’t have worried though as no one even noticed! The adjustments didn’t affect the flavor and I would have to say made them even better. The old recipe was delicious but rather heavy and unhealthy. This new recipe is lighter yet still retains the flavor and can be enjoyed on a more regular basis. I hope you enjoy!
Healthier Coconut Lime Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 scant c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 c unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 c lime juice
For the glaze:
- 2 c icing sugar
- 1/4 c lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400
- Lightly spray or coat a 12 tin muffin tin with oil.
- Place Coconut on cookie sheet and toast in the oven until brown for approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients except for the coconut in a food processor and blend until the mixture is well combined and smooth.
- Add coconut and process a couple of times until the coconut is mixed in.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the cups.
- Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until done.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Once cool combine the icing sugar and lime juice by beating vigorously. Ensure that all bumps are removed before glazing.
- Line your counter with parchment paper and place the cooling rack on top.
- Drizzle the glaze on your cupcakes and allow to set before eating.
- In my original recipe I made 6 instead of 12 cupcakes. I really like the 12 small cupcakes as they are quite rich but you can make bigger ones if you’d like.
- You’ll love how fast these are to prepare! Homemade and just as fast as a mix. It’s fantastic. You’ll be a hero!