It’s grill season again. We love grill season in our home. Lately we’ve been looking for new ways to grill and this was a recipe we came up with. This variation on Bobby Flay’s Butterflied Cuban Style Pork Chops was delicious. We beefed up the lime and orange juices, added a little more cumin and substituted dried oregano for the fresh (as it’s what we had). We will definitely be making this again.
Stuffed Citrus Pork Chop
- 2 1/2 c orange juice
- 1 1/2 c lime juice
- 3 heaping tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 c canola oil
- 8 cloves of garlic (roughly chopped)
- 8 butterflied pork chops (trimmed)
- 16 slices of reduced fat swiss cheese
- 16 slices of deli ham (preferably nitrate free)
- 16 baby dill pickles cut into 4 slices each.
- Salt and pepper
- Combine the orange juice, lime juice, oregano, cumin, canola oil and garlic in a large bowl. Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Pound the pork chops until they are very thin (about 1/2″) and place in the citrus mixture. Marinate for at least an hour or overnight in the fridge.
- As you remove pork from the mixture lightly season the outside with salt and pepper.
- Lay the pork flat and layer one piece of swiss cheese, the ham, the pickles and anther piece of cheese on the bottom side.
- Fold the top over and place on your tray to take outside.
- Once they’re all assembled grill them on high for roughly five minutes a side (depending on the power of your grill) until they are cooked through.
- These are delicious with fresh greens and asparagus.
- Get a meat tenderizer/pounder if you can. Ideally you want to have as even a piece as possible and this makes it possible. The first time we made this I didn’t have one and it was a little difficult (but not impossible). I found one on sale while shopping last week and it made a world of difference compared to the rolling pin I used before.