I know Monday’s are about eating well and getting fit but having a healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean giving up everything you enjoy. You have to have a treat now and then. This cookie is the product of a night spent researching Peanut Butter cookies and realizing that none of them were particularly healthy. Most of them called for peanut butter with trans fats or used shortening or had a ton of flour. I wanted something sweet but natural. Something you could sink your teeth into without feeling tons of guilt.
I think these fit the bill. Yes there’s sugar. You need it when you use natural peanut butter. But while there is sugar, there is no added butter, and no flour. It has the smooth taste of a peanut butter cup with the crumbly nature of a cookie. I’ll definitely make these again.
While they’re not diet food, they’re a good cookie for a treat if you’re trying to be healthy. High in protein and extra rich, you’ll probably only eat one. This batch made 33 cookies.
Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- 2 C Natural Peanut Butter
- 1 C White Sugar
- 1 C Brown Sugar
- 6 Tbsp Icing Sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 – 2 c Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Beat the peanut butter and the sugars together until well combined.
- Add the egg and the baking powder. Beat until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Take one heaping tbps of the mixture and roll it into a ball. Place on the sheet and gently flatten it with a fork/hand.
- Bake for 15 minutes (or until lightly browned)
- These are very crumbly cookies. The mixture will be crumbly and you’ll have to piece them together. Be gentle with them.
- As you can see from my sheet they are very, very crumbly but quite delicious. When they come out of the oven I recommend letting them cool for about 5 minutes on the pan before you remove them. If you move them too quickly they’ll fall completely to pieces.
- While moving them be gentle as well. They aren’t as firm as your traditional cookie (due to lack of flour) so they are a little more delicate.
- These would be delicious if made with Almond butter. I might try that next time.
- You could make these without the chocolate chips if you’re a plain peanut butter cookie fan.