Am I the only person who didn’t know the lunch bag microwave popcorn trick? No? Phew!
Seriously this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. If you buy microwaved popcorn you will save so much money. If you’re like me and have a machine buried in your basement you might find yourself eating popcorn a lot more often. Either way it’s a win for everyone. I’d like to thank my sister for first introducing me to this idea. While I’ve made some adjustments to the way I do it, she was the one who first showed me the way.
Microwave Popcorn in a Lunch Bag
What you’ll need:
- 1/3 c popping corn
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 paper lunch bag
- A bowl for the finished product
- Place the popping corn and salt in the lunch bag.
- Fold the bag over twice making sure each fold is pressed firmly.
- Shake the bag well a couple of time.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes and 15 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and place in bowl.
- There’s enough moisture in the popping corn to completely skip oil. That said if you like your popcorn with a little oil to help the salt stick feel free to add 1/2 tsp to the bag. If you do this make sure you shake it really well.
- Many recipes online will tell you to use 1/2 c. Don’t do this. It will explode all over your microwave. I know as I’ve done it. In the testing of this recipe I tried many different variations in the actual amount used and 1/3 c seems to the optimal measurement. It fills the bag without overflowing and doesn’t burn as you cook it.
- You may need more or less time depending on your microwave. My microwave is exactly 2 minutes and 15 seconds for this size bag. I have very few wasted kernels and no burnt bits. It’s much better than the microwave bags you buy from the store and healthier too! Just stay close the first few times you make it and pull it out when you think it’s done and the popping slows down significantly to get a measurement for your own microwave.