I am a snacking sort of girl. I like to graze. Leave me to my own devices and I won’t prepare a meal, I’ll eat a little of this and that and be quite satisfied. I’ve found the best balance for me is to eat a little at each meal and plan for at least 2 snacks every day. I maintain my weight, keep my energy levels stable and feel fairly good most days. As we are headed to the Museum today to check out dinosaurs and other fun prehistoric creatures I knew I would need to prepare a lunch and some snacks for us as I will not succumb to ridiculous tourist pricing.
One of our snacks was this simple Homemade Trail Mix. Infinitely more healthful than the varieties purchased at the store, this trail mix is a home run in our family every time. It’s a simple thing that can be thrown together last minute and keeps very well in the cupboard. Rich in protein, whole grains and some energy giving carbs it’s a great snack when you’re on the go. I do recommend portion sizing though as the nuts are sadly not calorie free.
Homemade Trail Mix
- 3 c unsalted mixed nuts
- 3 c whole grain puffed rice
- 1 c sunflower seeds
- 1 c pumpkin seeds
- 1 scant c diced dried pineapple cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 scant c dried cherries
- 1 scant c dried cranberries
- 2 scant c bittersweet chocolate
- Pour all ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Divide into portion sized bags or store in one large airtight container
- Feel free to change the ingredients or add something you like.
- I use bittersweet chocolate as it blends in nicely to the mixture and doesn’t add to much sweetness. You can cut back on the chocolate and it will still be a delicious mixture. I chose to add it this time as we are going on an adventure and I thought it would be a nice treat.