I’ve been a little busy with work the past few weeks so I haven’t been able to dedicate as much time to my kitchen adventures as I would like to. As a result our desserts have been lacking, until I discovered the Chocolate Mug Cake. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. The beautiful microwave concoction that takes less than 10 minutes to create. It’s been a staple around these parts lately.
It’s so easy and not at all attractive but if you have a chocolate craving that you need to fill one evening this week, give this a whirl. You won’t be disappointed.
Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 c applesauce
- 1/4 c soy milk (any milk will do)
- 3 tbsp chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp dried cherries
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir well.
- Add in the chocolate chips and dried cherries
- Pour into two mugs
- Microwave one mug at a time for approximately 3 minutes.
- The time may vary depending on the power of your microwave. Adjust accordingly if it isn’t quite done.
- If you don’t have dried cherries lying around try dried cranberries.
- For an extra decadent treat top the batter with another tablespoon of chocolate chips before cooking.
- This can easily be cut in half and turns out perfectly.
- This is perfection if you use large chocolate chips or chunks. The mini ones don’t provide the necessary moist chocolate parts. It’s still good if you use them but I much prefer larger chips for this recipe.