Making these bars was one of the best mistakes of my life. I started with a recipe that I didn’t have all the ingredients for. I made some substitutions, lost track of where I was and in the end wound up with this delightful creation that was nothing like the original. They are perfect.
They may not be the prettiest things you’ll ever see but they sure are tasty. I hope you enjoy! I’ll definitely be making these again.
Blueberry Lime Oatmeal Bars
(Adapted from the Raspberry Oatmeal Bars Recipe found in the Vegetarian Times Farmer’s Market Cookbook Summer 2011)
- 1 1/4 c Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c + 4 tbsp brown sugar (divided)
- 1/2 c + 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter softened (divided)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 C Large Flake Oats
- 1 c Blueberry Lime Jam
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare a 9″ square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together the sugar and butter until well combined.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until combined.
- Add 1 3/4 c of the Large Flake Oats to the batter. Stir well.
- Press the batter into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Spread the jam over the batter.
- In a small bowl combine 4 tbsp brown sugar, 1/4 c Large Flake Oats and 1.5 tbsp melted butter.
- Spread the Oat mixture over the jam.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes (or until cooked through).
- Cool completely, then cut into squares.
I made the Blueberry Lime Jam last summer and found a couple of rogue jars tucked away in the back of my cupboard. It was perfect in these squares but you could use any jam.
These cut into beautiful squares after they are cooled. Let them cool. I didn’t. I took a spoonful right away to see if they were good. They were good then but even better cooled. This is a dessert you wait for.