It’s family day weekend where we live! This means that the following will happen over the next 3 days:
- Tomorrow morning there will be pancakes.
- We will play with trucks and balls and rings.
- There are books to read.
- We have songs to sing.
- There’s definitely running to do.
- We may enjoy movies.
- There will be a walk in the sunshine.
- We will just be ‘family’.
If need a delicious, easy recipe for pancakes for this weekend this one is fantastic! This is so easy and very tasty. You’ll never need a box again. I originally got this recipe from a Jamie Oliver cookbook, Jamie’s Food Revolution. I have changed one thing. I’ve substituted buttermilk for the regular milk as it gives the pancakes a much fuller flavor. Enjoy!
- 1 cup/mug of buttermilk
- 1 cup/mug of cake flour
- 1 egg
- Whisk the ingredients together until well combined.
- Heat a pan to a medium-medium high heat.
- Before the pan gets too hot add a small amount of butter and make sure it covers the pan well.
- Pour small amounts of the batter on the pan.
- Leave the pancake until the top begins to bubble.
- Flip the pancakes.
- Remove when completely cooked through.
- Jamie says in the original recipe that this recipe works with any mug. It is true. I’ve used mugs, cups and exact measurements. As long as the flour/milk ratio is the same it turns out beautifully.
- You can make these with regular milk. They will be flatter and less flavorful but still tasty. I do recommend the Buttermilk if it’s at all possible. So much better in my opinion.
- You do need to use cake/pastry flour for these. It helps with the fluffiness factor as it has ingredients in it to help with rising. If you use all-purpose you’ll wind up with something similar to a crepe.
- Once you flip the pancakes it takes very little time to cook through.
- We love these with warmed maple syrup.